Our submissions are currently closed.
Our current submission period welcomed submissions of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, visual art, and those strange beings in between to be submitted from January 15th to March 15th, 2021.
Folx who submitted work for consideration in vol. 6.1 can expect to hear from us by early May if their pieces have been chosen for inclusion.
Due to the incredible volume of submissions we receive, we are not able to contact those who have not been chosen for inclusion.
Subscribe to our website or follow us on social media (links on the right) to stay up to date on all things untethered.
Our next submission period will be open from July – September 2021.
See below for our submission guidelines.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our submissions guidelines have changed as of January 2021. Please make sure you read them through and submit accordingly.
- *NEW* Please submit previous unpublished work to us through email, at untetheredsubmissions [at] gmail [dot] com
- *NEW* Please send separate emails for each genre you are submitting. For example: You are submitting three pieces of flash fiction, one piece of nonfiction, and two poems. You will send the three fiction pieces as attachments in one email, the nonfiction in a second email, and the two poems in a third email.
- *NEW* Please specify the genre of the piece(s) you are submitting in the SUBJECT LINE of your email (ie. fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, atwork, hybrid)
- Please include your name, first and last, in the body of your email.
- If submitting prose, please include word counts.
- If you are submitting more than one piece, please upload them as individual files and title each document with the name of the piece within it. (i.e. one file per submitted piece) Word documents are preferred over PDF (except for art submissions, see below) We do not accept submissions within the body of an email.
- You may submit a short bio with your submission in the body of your email, but it is not a requirement.
- If the piece(s) you are submitting are not easily defined by the below categories, that’s okay! Just do your best to describe them in your email (ex. poem/essay hybrid or visual poetry etc.). We do like weird stuff (not specifically in the content or subject matter, but more so in the playfulness of form).
- We don’t publish the same writer in consecutive issues.
- If you are unfamiliar with our publication, we urge you to pick up a copy of a back issue here, or read through our selected back issue excerpts here to get a sense of what we tend to publish.
We will consider a maximum of four poems per person per submission period. There are no length restrictions for the poetry we accept as submissions.
Visual poetry (vispo) and other layout-based poetry submissions may be submitted in PDF rather than Word documents.
For fiction and non-fiction, we will accept a maximum of 5000 words total in each genre. Please specify word count(s) in your cover letter.
(e.g. Five 1000 word non-fiction pieces, or anything that adds up to 5000 words, OR one 5000 word piece.)
However, keep in mind that if it is on the longer side, it must earn its length—the piece should be as long as it needs to be.
Do not send us a pieces over the word count, they will not be considered. If your piece is slightly over, we highly suggest you do another edit to trim out the extra words. In our experience this more often than not makes the piece stronger.
We aim to publish high quality, thought provoking, literary fiction and creative non-fiction.
Unless your piece purposefully breaks form conventions (which we are all for) it should be professionally formatted with proper punctuation, indented paragraphs, etc.
We do not publish genre fiction (fantasy, horror, sci-fi, mystery, romance etc.), articles, academic essays, writing for children or YA, so please don’t send them to us.
We feature one artist per issue, so please send a sample of the portfolio or collection of work you’d like us to consider (five to ten pieces).
Art work can be sent to us in various formats, PDF, jpeg, or share a Google Drive folder with us. If you have a website with more artwork from your portfolio you might want to include that as well.
We usually publish 8 – 10 pieces, including cover art and work inside the issue. We prefer publishing pieces that have similar theme or style. You can check out some of the art we have published in the past on our excerpt pages.
You may submit pieces in all categories as long as you follow the guidelines for each type of submission. Please send separate emails for each genre.