Our submission period is currently closed.
Please check back for details on our next call for submissions in early 2022.
See below for our submission guidelines.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our submissions guidelines have changed as of October 2021. Please make sure you read them through and submit accordingly.
- Please submit previously unpublished work to us through email, at untetheredsubmissions [at] gmail [dot] com
- Please send separate emails for each genre you are submitting. For example: You are submitting three pieces of flash fiction, one piece of nonfiction, and two poems. You will send the three fiction pieces as attachments in one email, the nonfiction in a second email, and the two poems in a third email.
- Please specify the genre of the piece(s) you are submitting in the SUBJECT LINE of your email (ie. fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, atwork, hybrid)
- Please include your name, first and last, in the body of your email.
- If submitting prose, please include word counts.
- If you are submitting more than one piece, please upload them as individual files and title each document with the name of the piece within it. (i.e. one file per submitted piece) Word documents are preferred over PDF (except for art submissions, see below) We do not accept submissions within the body of an email.
- Please note that submissions that do not follow the guidelines will NOT be considered.
- You may submit a short bio with your submission in the body of your email, but it is not a requirement.
- If the piece(s) you are submitting are not easily defined by the below categories, that’s okay! Just do your best to describe them in your email (ex. poem/essay hybrid or visual poetry etc.). We do like weird stuff (not specifically in the content or subject matter, but more so in the playfulness of form).
- We don’t publish the same writer in consecutive issues.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine with us! Just let us know in the body of your email. If your submission is accepted elsewhere, please send us an email to let us know as soon as possible.
- If you are unfamiliar with our publication, we urge you to pick up a copy of a back issue here, or read through our selected back issue excerpts here to get a sense of what we tend to publish.
We will consider a maximum of two poems per person per submission period. There are no length restrictions for the poetry we accept as submissions.
Visual poetry (vispo) and other layout-based poetry submissions may be submitted in PDF rather than Word documents.
For fiction and non-fiction, we will accept a maximum of 3000 words total in each genre. Please specify word count(s) in your cover letter.
(e.g. Three 1000 word nonfiction pieces, or anything that adds up to 3000 words, OR one 3000 word piece.)
However, keep in mind that if it is on the longer side, it must earn its length—the piece should be as long as it needs to be.
Do not send us a pieces over the word count, they will not be considered. If your piece is slightly over, we highly suggest you do another edit to trim out the extra words. In our experience this more often than not makes the piece stronger.
We aim to publish high quality, thought provoking, literary fiction and creative non-fiction.
Unless your piece purposefully breaks form conventions (which we are all for) it should be professionally formatted with proper punctuation, indented paragraphs, etc.
We do not publish genre fiction (fantasy, horror, sci-fi, mystery, romance etc.), articles, academic essays, writing for children or YA, so please don’t send them to us.
We feature one artist per issue, so please send a sample of the portfolio or collection of work you’d like us to consider (five to ten pieces).
Art work can be sent to us in various formats, PDF, jpeg, or share a Google Drive folder with us. If you have a website with more artwork from your portfolio you might want to include that as well.
We usually publish 8 – 10 pieces, including cover art and work inside the issue. We prefer publishing pieces that have similar theme or style. You can check out some of the art we have published in the past on our excerpt pages.
You may submit pieces in all categories as long as you follow the guidelines for each type of submission. Please send separate emails for each genre.
Payment for Publication
Contributors will receive a $20 honourarium OR one (1) copy of the issue in which the contributor’s work appears.